This Strawberry Shortcake with Chocolate Truffles has inspired more than just a rampant sweet tooth. Excerpted from Patchwork Party: 10 Festive Quilts and the Recipes that Inspired Them by Sandy Bonsib, this recipe was the muse for a lively quilt that pairs cozy yellow and red with fresh black and white. Both this dessert and the quilt it inspired are both decadent treats for cool summer nights.
Check out the free Strawberry Shortcake with Chocolate Truffles Quilt pattern!
Makes 8 servings.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening (Crisco)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 quart or more of strawberries
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar or regular sugar
- 2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
If strawberries are not sweet, slice them, sprinkle them with sugar, and let them stand 1 hour. This is a trick my mother taught me. Your strawberries will become sweet and juicy!