- 1 1/2 pounds baby broccoli or broccoli
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts toasted
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1/4 cup snipped chives
- 1 oz vegetarian Parmesan style cheese, shaved into wafers
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- cooked pasta shapes, to serve
Baby Broccoli with Pine Nuts & Caper Butter Sauce
Cut off the broccoli florets and slice lengthwise if thick. Slice the leaves and stems into 3/4-inch pieces. Steam for 2 minutes over a saucepan of boiling water, until barely soft. Remove from the heat. Reserve the cooking water.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium–low heat. Add the shallots and sauté for 5 minutes.
Add the garlic and sauté for 2–3 minutes, until just starting to brown.
Increase the heat to medium and add the broccoli. Add the red pepper flakes and season with salt and pepper. Add 3–4 tablespoons of the broccoli cooking water. Cook, stirring, for 4–6 minutes, until the broccoli is just tender and still bright green.
Stir in the pine nuts and check the seasoning. Transfer to a serving dish and keep warm.
Heat a heavy skillet. When hot, add the butter. Sizzle until golden.
Remove from the heat and stir in the capers and half the chives.
Pour the sauce over the broccoli. Sprinkle with the cheese and the remaining chives. Serve immediately with the pasta.
Excerpted with permission from "Step By Step Vegetarian: The Perfect Guide to Meat-Free Meals," published by Parragon Books.