You'll love this knit cowl regardless if you are a Hunger Games fan or not! This free quick arm knit cowl pattern is inspired by the cowl Katniss wears in The Hunger Games.
Not sure how to get started knitting? Watch the best free videos to learn knitting.
Skill level: Easy
Here's what you need:
- 5 balls 640-154 Wool-Ease Thick & Quick Yarn: Grey Marble
- 1 Lion Brand Size 35 [19 mm] 29-inch [75 cm] Circular Knitting Needles
- 1 Lion Brand Size 13 [9 mm] 29-inch [75 cm] Circular Knitting Needles
- 1 Lion Brand Split Ring Stitch Markers
- 1 Lion Brand Large-Eye Blunt Needles (Set of 6)
- 5 sts = about 4 in. (10 cm) in Cowl pattern with larger needle and 2 strands of yarn held tog.
- 9 sts = about 4 in. (10 cm) in Wrap pattern with smaller needle and 1 strand of yarn.
When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. The needle or hook size called for in the pattern is based on what the designer used, but it is not unusual for gauge to vary from person to person. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make your swatch, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
- Cowl and Wrap are worked separately then sewn tog.
- Cowl is worked in the rnd with 2 strands of yarn held tog.
- Wrap is worked in rows with a single strand of yarn. A circular needle is used to accommodate the large number of sts. Work back and forth in rows on circular needle as if working with straight needles.
- Only 2 balls of yarn are required if making Cowl only.
With larger needle and 2 strands of yarn held tog, cast on 42 sts. Place marker for beg of rnd and join by working the first st on the left hand needle with the working yarn from the right hand needle.
- Rnds 1-6: Purl.
- Rnds 7-10: Knit.
- Rnds 11-15: Purl.
- Rnds 16-24: Rep Rnds 7-15 Bind off.
With smaller needle and 1 strand of yarn, cast on 85 sts. Work back and forth on circular needle as if working on straight needles.
- Rows 1-13: Work in Garter st (k every row) for 13 rows.
- Row 14 (WS): Purl.
- Row 15: K1, *yo, k2tog; rep from * to end of row.
- Row 16: Purl.
- Rows 17-29: Work in Garter st for 13 rows.
- Rows 30-45: Rep Rows 14-29.
Place a marker anywhere on one edge of Cowl. Place a 2nd marker on the same edge about 12 in. (30.5 cm) from the first marker. Sew one short edge of Wrap to WS of Cowl, gathering the edge of the wrap to fit the 12 in. (30.5 cm) edge of the cowl between the markers. Remove markers.
Note: A helper will make the next part of finishing easier. Try on Cowl, with Wrap in front. Wrap the other end of the Wrap around to your back, adjusting to fit, and pin to edge of Cowl. Take off cowl and sew end.
Weave in ends.
This free quick arm knit cowl pattern is courtesy of Lion Brand Yarn. To find this project (L30292) and more free knitting patterns and advice, go to http://learntoknit.lionbrand.com/.