Glitter adds a mess of sparkles and a touch of whimsy to Alicia Kachmar and Margaret McGuire and Alicia Kachmar’s Ruby Slippers, a magical craft project from their book "Witch Craft." A pair of smooth shoes — heels, sneakers, vintage or flats — gets sprayed with adhesive, drenched in glitter and then covered with a gloss finish. In less than a day, crafters will be tapping their heels together and whispering their own secret wish.
Channel DIY Dorothy — Glitter-Embellished Ruby Slippers
- shoes with smooth surface
- plastic bags
- all-purpose spray-on adhesive
- about 1 ounce red glitter
- spray-on acrylic coating in gloss finish
2. Stuff each shoe with a plastic bag so that only the sections that will be covered in glitter are exposed.
3. Spray half of one shoe with all-purpose spray adhesive and quickly coat with glitter (pour straight from glitter container or use spoon to sprinkle).
4. Repeat on other half. Shake lightly to see if you missed any spots; respray and coat with glitter if necessary. Repeat steps 3 through 4 on the second shoe.
5. Let dry half an hour. Shake out any remaining glitter onto the newspaper (collect and pour back into container, if desired).
6. One at a time, cover shoes with spray-on acrylic coating.
7. Let dry 30 minutes. Remove plastic bags and shake out any excess glitter.